What should I know to care for someone wearing a hernia truss?

When caring for someone with a hernia it's important to remember that a truss cannot heal their hernia and should only be used with the approval of a doctor. Wearing a truss doesn't protect them from developing other hernias or complications. If their doctor has prescribed a truss, the truss needs to be fitted properly. Most hernia trusses resemble a supportive brief that is worn under the clothing and over the hernia to prevent the hernia from bulging out. If the truss is uncomfortable or painful, remove the truss immediately and see the doctor right away. A truss that is not worn properly or consistently can cause complications to the hernia. It's also important that you're there to provide mental, emotional, and physical support as they learn to use their truss and adjust to lifestyle changes due to having a hernia.

Continue Learning about Hernia Treatment

What advances have been made in hernia surgery?
TriStar StoneCrest Medical CenterTriStar StoneCrest Medical Center
Recent advances in hernia surgery include more ways to fix hernias with minimally invasive surgery. ...
How should I change my habits after hiatal hernia surgery?
MountainView HospitalMountainView Hospital
Keep up the same habits after hiatal hernia surgery as before. Three to six months is a good time pe...
Should I talk to my doctor about wearing a hernia truss?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Always talk to your doctor before using a truss to prevent complications with your hernia. In most c...
How do medications treat a hernia?
Abdominal wall hernias cannot be treated with medication because they cannot repair an abdominal wal...