How long will my mesh repair hernia surgery last?

How long your hernia surgery lasts depends on the type of hernia you have, the type of surgery (laparoscopic or open) and whether you have ever had previous surgery, which may increase the amount of scar tissue that your surgeon has to free in order to safely perform the procedure. Ultimately the amount of time it takes to perform hernia surgery is unique to you but often your surgeon will be able to give you an estimate.

Continue Learning about Hernia Treatment

What is the traditional surgery for groin hernia?
Marc M. Zare, MDMarc M. Zare, MD
Surgery for groin hernia dates back to over a century and used native muscle for the repair. In this...
How does a truss lead to incarcerated or strangulated hernias?
An incarcerated hernia is a hernia that becomes trapped outside the abdomen wall, unable to slide ba...
How do medications treat a hernia?
Todd P. Mangione, DOTodd P. Mangione, DO
There are no medicines that can cure a hernia, which is a hole, tear or weakness in body tissue thro...
What limitations will I have after a hernia repair?
TriStar StoneCrest Medical CenterTriStar StoneCrest Medical Center
Limitations after hernia surgery are necessary to allow for healing and prevent complications. The m...