How is an early-stage hiatal hernia repaired?

An early stage hiatal hernia may be repaired by decreasing the size of the enlarged hiatus (the opening in the diaphragm through which the esophagus travels on its way to the stomach). This is accomplished by means of sutures and a prosthetic mesh to reinforce the diaphragm tissue.

Continue Learning about Hernia Treatment

How long will it take me to recover from hernia surgery?
Good Samaritan HospitalGood Samaritan Hospital
Traditional hernia surgery recovery is one week with pain medications and four to six weeks of no he...
What is a hernia truss?
A hernia truss is a medical belt that can be worn to support a hernia. A truss is also known as a he...
Should I talk to my doctor about wearing a hernia truss?
Always talk to your doctor before using a truss to prevent complications with your hernia. In most c...
How long can I wear a truss to support my hernia?
When fitted properly, a truss can be worn during the day to prevent the hernia from bulging through ...