Do I need to have surgery for my hernia?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Surgery is the only way to cure an acquired hernia.

However, if your hernia is not painful or complicated, then surgery can be delayed.Your doctor may want to wait and watch the hernia. If your hernia becomes painful, hard, or larger in size, then you'll need surgery. Umbilical hernias are among the most common types of hernias that doctors use a wait-and-watch approach. Inguinal, hiatal, and sports hernias are often treated in similar ways.

Surgery for a hernia is really up to the patient. If it interrupts your quality of life, you should ask about a repair.

A hernia is something that has pushed through something else, and sometimes that requires surgery to repair. Not all hernias need surgery or even fixing; however, you can have a hernia around your belly button, in your groin or up around your stomach (hiatal hernia). If a hernia is causing a blockage, or pain or other symptoms, then surgery may be an option.

Continue Learning about Hernia Treatment

What limitations will I have after a hernia repair?
TriStar StoneCrest Medical CenterTriStar StoneCrest Medical Center
Limitations after hernia surgery are necessary to allow for healing and prevent complications. The m...
When is a truss approved for use with a hernia?
A truss is sometimes approved to support a small hernia before surgery. In rare cases, a truss may b...
What are the benefits of having hernia surgery?
Kendall Regional Medical Center - HCA East FloridaKendall Regional Medical Center - HCA East Florida
There are two main benefits to having a hernia surgery. One, hernias are usually symptomatic, so by ...
How do medications treat a Richter's hernia?
A Richter's hernia is a type of abdominal wall hernia that requires immediate surgery to correct. If...