Are herbal treatments poisonous?

I doubt most herbal treatments are poisonous when used at the recommended dosages. I would caution using some herbal medication in combination with other drugs, especially blood thinners. Several herbal medications can cause an increase in bleeding when combined with prescription or over-the-counter drugs. The herbal medications Gingko, Garlic, Melilot, Sweetwoodruff, Horse Chestnut, Cinnabar root, Alfalfa, Dong quai, Barberry, Goldenseal, Oregon grape, Feverfew and Bromelains can increase the action of the blood thinners Coumadin, Warfarin and other coumarin anticoagulants. Gingko, Garlic, and Feverfew can increase the effectiveness of aspirin and can greatly increase bleeding. An increased tendency for bleeding can cause complications during many medical and dental procedures.

Continue Learning about Herbal Supplements

Exercise Performance Supplements: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
“The Good, the Bad and the Ugly” has been applied to everything from presidential speeches to Oscar night dresses. So, why not use it to describe the ...
Are there supplements that can be used to promote joint health?
Vitamin supplements such as calcium and vitamin D can help prevent disease such as osteoporosis that...
Does Alpha Lipoic interact with any prescription drugs?
MediGuardMediGuard
Alpha lipoic acid is considered a nutraceutical, which means it's safety and efficacy has not been a...
What Are Kava Supplements?
What Are Kava Supplements?