What are the chances of giving hepatitis to my baby if I am pregnant?

Hepatitis B and C can be transmitted during birth. Infected babies may carry the virus for the rest of their lives but most do well during childhood. All pregnant women should be tested for hepatitis B early in pregnancy. Pregnant women are not routinely tested for hepatitis C because they have no greater risk than nonpregnant women. Only about 4 percent of hepatitis C-positive women pass the virus to their infants, and there is no evidence that hepatitis C is passed through breastfeeding. Vaccinating a baby at birth and giving it an immune globin (HBIG) shot can protect it from developing a hepatitis B infection from an infected mother.

This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.

Continue Learning about Hepatitis

What increases my risk for hepatitis?
Your risk of hepatitis increases if you are a healthcare worker in the field of dentistry, medicine ...
Is Compliance and Adherence an Issue in Hepatitis C Treatment?
Can the Healthcare System Handle Hepatitis C Right Now?
New Innovations in the Treatment of Hepatitis C