Can hepatitis recur after a liver transplant?

If you suffered from Hepatitis B or C prior to receiving your new liver, it is possible to experience a recurrence of the virus after transplantation. Fortunately, antiviral therapy can protect the new liver against hepatitis B recurrence in nearly all cases. To help identify and control any recurrence, you will be screened with blood tests and liver biopsies at regular intervals. If recurrence is detected, medications will be prescribed.

Continue Learning about Hepatitis

What are the chances of giving hepatitis to my baby if I am pregnant?
Hepatitis B and C can be transmitted during birth. Infected babies may carry the virus for the rest ...
What are the different types of autoimmune hepatitis?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
There are two types of autoimmune hepatitis: Type I and Type II. Type I accounts for most cases in N...
How do I manage my acute hepatitis B and C on a daily basis?
In most cases, if symptoms occur they are usually mild or flu-like. And subside within a few weeks. ...
What Drew You to Research Hepatitis C?
What Drew You to Research Hepatitis C?