When should I call my doctor if I have hepatitis C?

If you've been diagnosed with acute hepatitis B or C, which are short-term infections, you may get well with rest, good nutrition and fluids. Your doctor may monitor your blood, testing every few weeks to see if the virus has gone away. If your condition fails to improve within 6 months, you may have developed chronic hepatitis. If you have been diagnosed with chronic hepatitis, you'll need to see your doctor regularly during treatment to be sure it's working, and to check for drug side effects.Your doctor will also check your liver regularly for signs of damage. After the virus is removed from your body, you should still see your doctor at least twice a year to check for signs of liver damage and other related problems. Depending on your condition, you may need to see your doctor more often. If you have any of these signs or symptoms of liver damage or liver cancer, see your doctor right away:

• Weight loss
  • Loss of appetite
  • Yellowish skin or eyes
  • Itching
  • Swelling, pain or feelings of fullness in your stomach area
  • Weakness
  • Muscle cramps
  • Confusion or other changes in your mood
  • Sleep problems
  • Vomiting blood or having very dark (bloody) bowel movements
  • Menstrual changes in women
  • Sexual symptoms in men, such as being unable to have an erection or developing breasts
  • Spider veins

Continue Learning about Hepatitis C

My Story, My Diagnosis: William’s Story
My Story, My Diagnosis: William’s Story
In this video, a hepatitis C survivor shares his inspirational story of overcoming hep C infection, addiction, incarceration and cirrhosis of the live...
What should I know before taking simeprevir and sofosbuvir?
Your doctor will need to do blood tests before starting treatment. Women of childbearing age will ne...
The Best and Worst Foods for Hep C
The Best and Worst Foods for Hep CThe Best and Worst Foods for Hep CThe Best and Worst Foods for Hep CThe Best and Worst Foods for Hep C
Find out which foods you should (and shouldn't) eat with hepatitis C.
What Are the Different Types of Hepatitis?