What should I know before taking Epclusa?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

It is not known if Epclusa is safe or effective for people under 18 years of age.

If you have severe kidney function impairment, Epclusa may not be a good option for you.

If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or may be pregnant, Epclusa may not be a good option for you. It is not known if it is safe for pregnant women.

If you are breastfeeding, Epclusa may not be a good option for you. It is not known if this drug can be passed into breast milk.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Hepatitis C

Where to Find Affordable Treatments for Hepatitis C
Treating hepatitis C can be more affordable than you might think. Here, Dr. Mehmet Oz explains where to find affordable hep C treatments. Medically r...
How common is hepatitis C among baby boomers?
About 3 million adults in the United States are infected with the hepatitis C virus, and most are ba...
The Best and Worst Foods for Hep C
The Best and Worst Foods for Hep CThe Best and Worst Foods for Hep CThe Best and Worst Foods for Hep CThe Best and Worst Foods for Hep C
Find out which foods you should (and shouldn't) eat with hepatitis C.
How Can I Stay Healthy If I Have Hepatitis C?