What should I do if I think I've been exposed to hepatitis?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

See your doctor and get yourself tested if you are at a higher risk of getting hepatitis, or if you have been exposed to the hepatitis virus. Many people do not know they are infected. Early diagnosis and treatment can help prevent liver damage. A medicine called hepatitis immune globulin may protect you from getting sick if taken shortly after exposure to the hepatitis A or hepatitis B virus.

This answer is based on source information from the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases.

Continue Learning about Hepatitis C

The Health Complications of Hepatitis C
The Health Complications of Hepatitis C
Hepatitis C, a condition caused by coming into contact with an infected person’s blood, is characterized by inflammation of the liver. There are two s...
What should I know before taking simeprevir and sofosbuvir?
Your doctor will need to do blood tests before starting treatment. Women of childbearing age will ne...
The Best and Worst Foods for Hep C
The Best and Worst Foods for Hep CThe Best and Worst Foods for Hep CThe Best and Worst Foods for Hep CThe Best and Worst Foods for Hep C
Find out which foods you should (and shouldn't) eat with hepatitis C.
How Does Hepatitis C Become Chronic?
How Does Hepatitis C Become Chronic?