What are the different types of hepatitis C (HCV)?

There are two types of hepatitis C infection, acute (short-lived) and chronic (long-lived). Acute hepatitis C symptoms can last from a few weeks to six months. Most symptoms of acute hepatitis are mild. It's possible to have acute or chronic hepatitis without feeling ill or having any symptoms. Chronic hepatitis C is more severe and more common than its acute form. Blood tests are used to determine the type and level of hepatitis C infection. Your doctor should monitor your liver for progressive damage. There are also at least six types of the hepatitis C virus, called genotypes. Chronic hepatitis C treatment depends on the genotype of the virus a person has, and other factors.

Continue Learning about Hepatitis C

What Type of Hepatitis C Do You Have? The Difference Matters
Hepatitis C is the number one cause of chronic liver damage and transplant in the United States, but it doesn’t have to be. It’s not too often that do...
What should I do if I think I've been exposed to hepatitis?
See your doctor and get yourself tested if you are at a higher risk of getting hepatitis, or if you ...
The Best and Worst Foods for Hep C
The Best and Worst Foods for Hep CThe Best and Worst Foods for Hep CThe Best and Worst Foods for Hep CThe Best and Worst Foods for Hep C
Find out which foods you should (and shouldn't) eat with hepatitis C.
Ask the Experts: Hep C Prevention
Ask the Experts: Hep C Prevention