What are the different types of hepatitis C (HCV)?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing
There are two types of hepatitis C infection, acute (short-lived) and chronic (long-lived). Acute hepatitis C symptoms can last from a few weeks to six months. Most symptoms of acute hepatitis are mild. It's possible to have acute or chronic hepatitis without feeling ill or having any symptoms. Chronic hepatitis C is more severe and more common than its acute form. Blood tests are used to determine the type and level of hepatitis C infection. Your doctor should monitor your liver for progressive damage. There are also at least six types of the hepatitis C virus, called genotypes. Chronic hepatitis C treatment depends on the genotype of the virus a person has, and other factors.

Continue Learning about Hepatitis C

hepatitis c : what are the warning signs and should you get tested ?
if you’re wondering if you should get screened for hepatitis c , the answer is yes—hep c screening is recommended for every person between the ages of...
my story : my hepatitis c journey as a black american
pat , a hepatitis c survivor , leads by example as a health advocate . in this video , pat shares her thoughts on disparity within the healthcare syst...
is there a cure for hepatitis ?
Hepatitis B There is no cure for hepatitis B, acute or chronic. Talk to your doctor about your sympt...
should i talk to my doctor about my hepatitis symptoms ?
If you or your child has symptoms of hepatitis, you should talk to your doctor. Depending upon the c...