What is the difference between external and internal hemorrhoids?

Internal hemorrhoids lie under the lining of the lower rectum. They become problems when they fall down into the anus (prolapse), where they get rubbed and squeezed by poop. This rubbing causes them to bleed. Sometimes internal hemorrhoids prolapse right out of the anus and may need to be pushed back inside. Internal hemorrhoids prolapse like this because we strain at stool (so avoid straining when pooping by eating enough roughage and not postponing going to the toilet). Delivering a baby also can cause prolapsing hemorrhoids. External hemorrhoids are a system of veins that lie just under the skin at the anal margin. They cause problems when they clot, or thrombose. This often happens with straining, and produces a very painful purple lump (a pile). This will gradually go away by itself, leaving a tag of stretched skin. Alternatively, the clot can be removed through a small incision.
Jill E. Waldron, MD
Colorectal Surgery
External hemorrhoids are on the outside of the anus, while internal ones are further inside the anal canal. In this video, Jill E. Waldron, MD, colorectal surgeon at St. Mark's Hospital describes the different symptoms of these hemorrhoids.

Continue Learning about Hemorrhoids

How to Treat—and Prevent—Hemorrhoids
How to Treat—and Prevent—Hemorrhoids
Hemorrhoids. Not a popular topic, unless you’re desperate for a way to get rid of them. How can you find relief from painful, itchy hemorrhoids that c...
What kind of doctor should I see about my hemorrhoids?
If you're having some of the characteristic symptoms of hemorrhoids - swelling, bleeding, or pain - ...
What should I think about if I have hemorrhoids?
MountainView HospitalMountainView Hospital
You only need to worry about your hemorrhoids if they're causing you problems. While they may be ann...
Tips to Prevent Painful Hemorrhoids
Tips to Prevent Painful Hemorrhoids