What is rubber band ligation for hemorrhoid removal?

The rubber band procedure strangles the hemorrhoid tissue so it will fall off. This procedure is used for inner hemorrhoids.

Internal hemorrhoids can be treated in the doctor's office by ligation. A small rubber band is placed around the tissue above the hemorrhoid to cut off its blood supply. The hemorrhoidal tissue and band slough off a few days later and the sore that is left will heal. This method of hemorrhoid removal produces mild discomfort and slight bleeding.

Continue Learning about Hemorrhoid Treatment

Can a hemorrhoidectomy cause complications?
If other treatments haven't helped, your doctor may recommend having your hemorrhoids surgically rem...
How is a hemorrhoid with a blood clot treated?
In some hemorrhoids that develop around your anus, blood can collect and form clots. Intense pain is...
How can I shrink my hemorrhoids by getting more fiber?
Robynne K. Chutkan, MDRobynne K. Chutkan, MD
Hemorrhoids respond best to bulking up the stool so it can be more easily expelled. This can be done...
What Can I Do About My Hemorrhoids?
What Can I Do About My Hemorrhoids?