How long does it take to heal hemorrhoids?

When treated early, hemorrhoids usually disappear within a week or two. By increasing fiber and fluids in your diet, your stool will soften, thereby promoting more regular bowel movements. It also helps to eliminate excessive straining and to take warm baths.

Most painful external hemorrhoids will respond to rest and warm sitz baths. Within a week the pain should subside. The firm lump should completely recede within four to six weeks. If the pain is severe, your physician may decide to inject a local anesthetic and remove the hemorrhoid in the office to provide immediate relief.

Continue Learning about Hemorrhoid Treatment

What kind of surgery can help for painful, bleeding hemorrhoids?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Before you consider surgery, make sure the bleeding is from hemorrhoids. If you are over age 40 and ...
Can over-the-counter hemorrhoidal ointments be used long-term?
If your hemorrhoids symptoms are mild, you may find relief from simple over-the-counter hemorrhoidal...
How can I relieve the acute pain of hemorrhoids?
Brooke H. Gurland, MDBrooke H. Gurland, MD
There are several things you can do to relieve acute hemorrhoid pain: Take warms soaks in the bath (...
What Can I Do About My Hemorrhoids?
What Can I Do About My Hemorrhoids?