What are the treatment options for a hematoma?

A hematoma can be treated at home by following several easy techniques. Apply a cold compress shortly after injury to reduce the flow of blood slowing the formation of the hematoma. The cold compress should be applied for 15 minutes every hour for one to two days after injury. Elevate the injury above the heart to reduce the flow of blood to the hematoma. Rest the part of the body that sustained the injury to allow it to heal. Take an over-the-counter medication, like acetaminophen (Tylenol) to reduce pain and swelling.

Continue Learning about Hematoma

What is a hematoma?
A hematoma is the outward expression of an injury within the body. A hematoma occurs when small bloo...
How do medications treat a hematoma?
Over-the-counter medications can be used to treat a hematoma. Acetaminophen (Tylenol) should be take...
How do I manage my hematoma on a daily basis?
A hematoma can be managed on a daily basis by following four simple procedures to reduce the size of...
How do I care for someone with a hematoma?
You can care for someone with a hematoma by following four simple procedures. Shortly after injury, ...