Should I talk to my doctor about my hematoma?

Talk to your doctor if you experience extreme pain in the location of the hematoma. The pain may be caused by the pressure exerted by the pocket of blood on the soft tissue, which may cut off the vital supply of oxygen to these areas. Also, consult a doctor if bruises appear without having experienced an injury or if bruises begin to appear in conjunction with bleeding from the nose, gums, eyes, stool, or urine.

Continue Learning about Hematoma

Who is most affected by a hematoma?
Older people and people taking certain medications and supplements are most affected by hematoma. As...
How is a hematoma diagnosed?
A hematoma is diagnosed based on classic symptoms of localized skin discoloration, pain, and swellin...
How do medications treat a hematoma?
Over-the-counter medications can be used to treat a hematoma. Acetaminophen (Tylenol) should be take...
What is skier's toe?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
Skier's toe is when your toenail turns black and painful. It is a common skiing injury. The medi...