Is a hematoma serious?

A hematoma is seldom serious. A hematoma results from an injury that causes blood vessels to rupture. The blood that seeps from the damaged blood vessels cannot escape and pools in the soft tissue. The resulting hematoma appears on the body as a skin discoloration (bruise) and may cause swelling and localized pain. A hematoma can be treated at home with a cold compress applied to the injury for 15 minutes every hour, elevating the injury above the level of the heart, rest, and over-the-counter medications. If pain and swelling persist and are extreme, consult a doctor. The internal bleeding forming the hematoma may be placing pressure on soft tissue.

Continue Learning about Hematoma

How can I treat skier's toe?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
You can treat skier's toe quickly if you head to a clinic within hours or a day of noticing the ...
How do I manage my hematoma on a daily basis?
A hematoma can be managed on a daily basis by following four simple procedures to reduce the size of...
Who is most affected by a hematoma?
Older people and people taking certain medications and supplements are most affected by hematoma. As...
How do I care for someone with a hematoma?
You can care for someone with a hematoma by following four simple procedures. Shortly after injury, ...