Are there alternative treatments for a hematoma?

There are alternative treatments for hematoma. You can treat a hematoma at home by applying cold, elevating the injury, rest, and over-the-counter medications. Place a cold compress to the site of the injury for 15 minutes every hour for one to two days. Elevate the injury to reduce the flow of blood to the hematoma. Take over-the-counter medications, such as acetaminophen (Tylenol) to reduce pain symptoms. Rest is always one of the best treatments to allow the injury to heal.

Continue Learning about Hematoma

What are the treatment options for a hematoma?
A hematoma can be treated at home by following several easy techniques. Apply a cold compress shortl...
How do I manage my hematoma on a daily basis?
A hematoma can be managed on a daily basis by following four simple procedures to reduce the size of...
What is skier's toe?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
Skier's toe is when your toenail turns black and painful. It is a common skiing injury. The medi...
Is a hematoma serious?
A hematoma is seldom serious. A hematoma results from an injury that causes blood vessels to rupture...