What increases my risk for myelodysplastic/myeloproliferative diseases?

There are several myelodysplastic/myeloproliferative disease subtypes and risk factors vary. Age, male gender, exposure to radiation, and past cancer treatment increase your risk for chronic myelomonocytic leukemia. A genetic condition called neurofibromatosis type I can increase your risk of juvenile myelomonocytic leukemia. If you are concerned about your likelihood of getting one of the myelodysplastic/myeloproliferative diseases, your doctor can help to assess your risk.

Continue Learning about Hematologic/Blood Cancers

Why Remission Doesn’t Mean Treatment Is Over
Despite huge advances in treatment protocols in recent years, multiple myeloma remains, unfortunately, an incurable disease. What does that mean for p...
When Someone You Love Is Diagnosed With Multiple Myeloma
When your loved one is diagnosed with multiple myeloma, the focus of everyone—family, friends, doctors—is squarely on that new patient, just as it sho...
How do hematologic cancers affect the body?
Hematologic cancers primarily affect the body by interfering with the production of normal blood cel...
How does immunotherapy affect my hematologic cancer?
Immunotherapy is becoming increasingly utilized for many hematologic cancers. Although chemotherapy ...