What is the rate of incidence for hematologic cancers?

Hematologic cancers are currently responsible for approximately 9.5 percent of newly diagnosed cancers in the United States. Approximately one person is diagnosed with hematologic cancer every 4 minutes. It is estimated that approximately 139,860 people were diagnosed with hematologic cancers in 2009 in the United States. This corresponds to an incidence rate of about 40.1 per 100,000 population per year. The estimated incidence rates for the main types of hematologic cancer in 2009 were: 12.2 per 100,000 population per year for leukemia, 22.3 for lymphoma, and 5.6 for myeloma. The incidence rates for hematologic cancers have increased in recent years.

Continue Learning about Hematologic/Blood Cancers

Staying Fit During Multiple Myeloma Remission
Exercise brings with it many benefits that are helpful for people with multiple myeloma or in remission. At the top of that list: Exercise's ability t...
How Can I Transition From Cancer Patient to Cancer Survivor?
The modern view of "survivorship" is that it begins at diagnosis. Focusing on ways to get better minimize the negative effects of treatment. Watch thi...
How does immunotherapy affect my hematologic cancer?
Immunotherapy is becoming increasingly utilized for many hematologic cancers. Although chemotherapy ...
What are the treatment options for hematologic cancer?
The treatment of hematologic cancers depends on the type of cancer, its location, and its extent of ...