What is the rate of incidence for hematologic cancers?

Hematologic cancers are currently responsible for approximately 9.5 percent of newly diagnosed cancers in the United States. Approximately one person is diagnosed with hematologic cancer every 4 minutes. It is estimated that approximately 139,860 people were diagnosed with hematologic cancers in 2009 in the United States. This corresponds to an incidence rate of about 40.1 per 100,000 population per year. The estimated incidence rates for the main types of hematologic cancer in 2009 were: 12.2 per 100,000 population per year for leukemia, 22.3 for lymphoma, and 5.6 for myeloma. The incidence rates for hematologic cancers have increased in recent years.

Continue Learning about Hematologic/Blood Cancers

How Can I Transition From Cancer Patient to Cancer Survivor?
The modern view of "survivorship" is that it begins at diagnosis. Focusing on ways to get better minimize the negative effects of treatment. Watch thi...
Maintain Your Emotional Well-Being During Multiple Myeloma Remission
Multiple myeloma is a treatable disease, but not, at this point, a curable one. Even entry into remission doesn’t signal the end of worries and concer...
Is there a cure for hematologic cancers?
Gary J. Schiller, MDGary J. Schiller, MD
Depending on the cell of origin, there are cures for some hematologic cancers, including certain for...
How does immunotherapy affect my hematologic cancer?
Immunotherapy is becoming increasingly utilized for many hematologic cancers. Although chemotherapy ...