What causes hematologic cancers?

Hematologic cancers, like all malignant disorders, are caused by the uncontrolled division of abnormal cells. These abnormal cells arise from normal cells that have undergone a change, making them unable to respond to normal control mechanisms that limit their growth and division. The cells in hematologic cancers arise from types of white blood cells: lymphocytes, granulocytes, and plasma cells. Although scientists do not know exactly what causes a normal cell to transform into a hematologic cancer cell, for many of these cancers, risk factors have been identified that appear to play a role in this process.

Continue Learning about Hematologic/Blood Cancers

5 Mistakes to Avoid During Multiple Myeloma Remission
If your doctor has declared that your multiple myeloma is in remission—whether partial or complete—that’s excellent news. Congratulations! However, wi...
Best Foods for Multiple Myeloma Treatment
Eating well is important when you’re being treated multiple myeloma. In this video, Darria Long Gillespie, the SVP of Clinical Strategy at Sharecare, ...
Is a remission the same as a cure for my hematologic cancer?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Unfortunately, a remission for your hematologic cancer is not the same as a cure. Remission is the t...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with hematologic cancer?
Caring for people with hematologic cancer involves helping them deal with the effects of the cancer ...