What are hematologic cancers?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Hematologic cancers are a group of malignant diseases that arise from cells in the bone marrow or lymphatic tissues. Malignant diseases are characterized by abnormal (cancerous) cells that divide uncontrollably, producing much larger quantities than the body needs. The cancerous cells in hematologic cancers are derived from types of white blood cells. Hematologic cancers may also be referred to as blood cancers. They primarily include leukemia, lymphoma, and myeloma. In the United States, they currently account for approximately 10 percent of newly diagnosed cancers and close to 10 percent of cancer deaths.

Continue Learning about Hematologic/Blood Cancers

Why Remission Doesn’t Mean Treatment Is Over
Despite huge advances in treatment protocols in recent years, multiple myeloma remains, unfortunately, an incurable disease. What does that mean for p...
Staying Fit During Multiple Myeloma Remission
Exercise brings with it many benefits that are helpful for people with multiple myeloma or in remission. At the top of that list: Exercise's ability t...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with hematologic cancer?
Caring for people with hematologic cancer involves helping them deal with the effects of the cancer ...
How do I manage my hematologic cancer on a daily basis?
How you manage your hematologic cancer on a daily basis depends to a large extent on the type of can...