What are hematologic cancers?

Hematologic cancers are a group of malignant diseases that arise from cells in the bone marrow or lymphatic tissues. Malignant diseases are characterized by abnormal (cancerous) cells that divide uncontrollably, producing much larger quantities than the body needs. The cancerous cells in hematologic cancers are derived from types of white blood cells. Hematologic cancers may also be referred to as blood cancers. They primarily include leukemia, lymphoma, and myeloma. In the United States, they currently account for approximately 10 percent of newly diagnosed cancers and close to 10 percent of cancer deaths.

Continue Learning about Hematologic/Blood Cancers

As a Cancer Survivor, How Can I Deal with My Fear of a Recurrence?
If you're a cancer survivor, it's normal to worry about the disease coming back. In this video, palliative medicine specialist Dr. Stewart Fleishman d...
How Can I Transition From Cancer Patient to Cancer Survivor?
The modern view of "survivorship" is that it begins at diagnosis. Focusing on ways to get better minimize the negative effects of treatment. Watch thi...
What is hematologic oncology?
St. Petersburg General HospitalSt. Petersburg General Hospital
A hematologist and oncologist discusses her two areas of speciality. Watch this video featuring Moni...
What is the rate of incidence for hematologic cancers?
Hematologic cancers are currently responsible for approximately 9.5 percent of newly diagnosed cance...