Is there a cure for hematologic cancers?

Gary J. Schiller, MD
Hematology & Oncology
Depending on the cell of origin, there are cures for some hematologic cancers, including certain forms of leukemia and lymphoma. And while modern therapies have prolonged survival in other cancers such as multiple myeloma, there is not yet a cure.

Hematologic cancers can be cured in many individuals. As with most cancers, the possibility of cure increases with early diagnosis and appropriate treatment. Current treatment varies with the type of cancer, but it usually consists of chemotherapy with more than one drug, often combined with radiotherapy, stem cell transplantation, and/or immunotherapy. The possibility of cure is very dependent on the type of cancer. The best cure rates occur in children with acute leukemia (approximately 70 percent) and children or adults with Hodgkin lymphoma (approximately 80 percent). By contrast, acute myelogenous leukemia (AML) and myeloma are associated with much lower chances of cure, especially in older individuals. The 5-year survival (with or without disease) in the 65 years and older age group is approximately 4.1 percent for AML and 25 percent for myeloma.

Continue Learning about Hematologic/Blood Cancers

How Can I Transition From Cancer Patient to Cancer Survivor?
The modern view of "survivorship" is that it begins at diagnosis. Focusing on ways to get better minimize the negative effects of treatment. Watch thi...
When Someone You Love Is Diagnosed With Multiple Myeloma
When your loved one is diagnosed with multiple myeloma, the focus of everyone—family, friends, doctors—is squarely on that new patient, just as it sho...
Is a remission the same as a cure for my hematologic cancer?
Monique Z. Sajjad, DOMonique Z. Sajjad, DO
Monique Sajjad, DO, a hematologist and oncologist from Northside Hospital, explains what the terms r...
What are the long-term effects of hematologic cancer treatment?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
As hematologic cancer treatment becomes more successful, more people are surviving for longer period...