Are there alternative therapies for hematologic cancers?

In addition to conventional therapy with chemotherapy, radiotherapy, stem cell transplant, and immunotherapy, hematologic cancers are sometimes managed with other forms of therapy. When these therapies are used to replace conventional treatment, they are called alternative therapies. No alternative therapy has been scientifically proven to cure hematologic cancer, so using these as true alternatives to replace conventional therapy is not appropriate. However, these same therapies may be useful if they are added to conventional therapy as complementary therapies. Used in this manner, many of these therapies may help control symptoms related to the cancer or conventional therapy, and possibly improve the chances of cure. For example, acupuncture is often effective in reducing the nausea and vomiting that occurs with chemotherapy, and mind-body therapy (such as hypnosis, meditation, yoga, or prayer) can reduce emotional stress and possibly pain. Recent research has shown that green tea extract has a mild anti-cancer effect and may slow the progression of chronic lymphocytic leukemia.

Continue Learning about Hematologic/Blood Cancers

As a Cancer Survivor, How Can I Deal with My Fear of a Recurrence?
If you're a cancer survivor, it's normal to worry about the disease coming back. In this video, palliative medicine specialist Dr. Stewart Fleishman d...
Best Foods for Multiple Myeloma Treatment
Eating well is important when you’re being treated multiple myeloma. In this video, Darria Long Gillespie, the SVP of Clinical Strategy at Sharecare, ...
What is tumor lysis syndrome?
Tumor lysis syndrome is a condition caused by the destruction of a large number of tumor cells and t...
What are the treatment options for hematologic cancer?
The treatment of hematologic cancers depends on the type of cancer, its location, and its extent of ...