What are the treatment options for hematologic cancer?

The treatment of hematologic cancers depends on the type of cancer, its location, and its extent of spread.

Chemotherapy is the mainstay of treatment for most of these cancers. Usually a combination of two or more chemotherapy drugs is used.

Radiotherapy (radiation therapy) is sometimes used, but usually in combination with chemotherapy. It is more likely to be used for cancer that is localized or interfering with the function of a vital structure. Radiotherapy may also be used prior to stem cell transplantation.

Stem cell transplantation is becoming increasingly used in recent years. Its purpose is to restore the bone marrow with normal cells after the bone marrow cells, healthy and cancerous, have been eradicated by chemo or radiation.

Newer therapies, such as immunotherapy, may also be beneficial for some types and stages of hematologic cancer.

Continue Learning about Hematologic/Blood Cancers

As a Cancer Survivor, How Can I Deal with My Fear of a Recurrence?
If you're a cancer survivor, it's normal to worry about the disease coming back. In this video, palliative medicine specialist Dr. Stewart Fleishman d...
Why Remission Doesn’t Mean Treatment Is Over
Despite huge advances in treatment protocols in recent years, multiple myeloma remains, unfortunately, an incurable disease. What does that mean for p...
How are hematologic cancers diagnosed?
The diagnosis of hematologic cancer is often suspected by symptoms or findings on physical examinati...
What is the rate of incidence for hematologic cancers?
Hematologic cancers are currently responsible for approximately 9.5 percent of newly diagnosed cance...