What are the treatment options for hematologic cancer?

The treatment of hematologic cancers depends on the type of cancer, its location, and its extent of spread.

Chemotherapy is the mainstay of treatment for most of these cancers. Usually a combination of two or more chemotherapy drugs is used.

Radiotherapy (radiation therapy) is sometimes used, but usually in combination with chemotherapy. It is more likely to be used for cancer that is localized or interfering with the function of a vital structure. Radiotherapy may also be used prior to stem cell transplantation.

Stem cell transplantation is becoming increasingly used in recent years. Its purpose is to restore the bone marrow with normal cells after the bone marrow cells, healthy and cancerous, have been eradicated by chemo or radiation.

Newer therapies, such as immunotherapy, may also be beneficial for some types and stages of hematologic cancer.

Continue Learning about Hematologic/Blood Cancers

Why Remission Doesn’t Mean Treatment Is Over
Despite huge advances in treatment protocols in recent years, multiple myeloma remains, unfortunately, an incurable disease. What does that mean for p...
What You Need to Know About Multiple Myeloma
Multiple myeloma is cancer that affects the body's plasma cells, a type of white blood cell. Watch this video to learn the risks, symptoms and treatme...
How does immunotherapy affect my hematologic cancer?
Immunotherapy is becoming increasingly utilized for many hematologic cancers. Although chemotherapy ...
Should I talk to my doctor about my hematologic cancer symptoms?
If you have symptoms of hematologic cancer, you should contact your doctor. Hematologic cancers are ...