How does multiple myeloma affect the body?

Gary J. Schiller, MD
Hematology & Oncology
In patients with multiple myeloma, the cancerous plasma cells are distinct, and produce many substances that dissolve bone, produce toxins that affect the kidneys, suppress the normal bone marrow production of blood cells and impair the immune system (this is a cancer of the immune system). Infections are very common in multiple myeloma.

Multiple myeloma is a hematologic cancer composed of many plasma cell tumors called plasmacytomas. These tumors usually originate in the bone marrow, as this is where plasma cells are produced. As other blood cells are also produced in the bone marrow, the presence of plasmacytomas will interfere with their production, resulting in reduced numbers of red blood cells, other white blood cells, and platelets. This will lead to anemia, increased susceptibility to infections, and reduced ability to form blood clots. As plasmacytomas continue to expand, they spread from the bone marrow into the hard part of the bone, causing bone pain, releasing excessive amounts of calcium into the blood, and weakening the bone so it is easily fractured. The cancerous plasma cells function like normal plasma cells by secreting antibodies (immunoglobulins). Because of the large number of cancer cells, excessive amounts of antibody are produced, which accumulate in the kidneys. This can impair the function of the kidneys and eventually lead to kidney failure. High blood calcium levels can also interfere with kidney function.

Continue Learning about Hematologic/Blood Cancers

As a Cancer Survivor, How Can I Deal with My Fear of a Recurrence?
If you're a cancer survivor, it's normal to worry about the disease coming back. In this video, palliative medicine specialist Dr. Stewart Fleishman d...
Must-Know Multiple Myeloma Facts
Must-Know Multiple Myeloma Facts
Just over 30,000 people will be diagnosed with multiple myeloma in the United States this year—despite being the second most common blood cancer, mult...
What is the rate of incidence for hematologic cancers?
Hematologic cancers are currently responsible for approximately 9.5 percent of newly diagnosed cance...
How does immunotherapy affect my hematologic cancer?
Immunotherapy is becoming increasingly utilized for many hematologic cancers. Although chemotherapy ...