Is there a cure for myelodysplastic/myeloproliferative diseases?

In many cases, myelodysplastic/myeloproliferative diseases cannot be cured. While a successful bone marrow transplant can cure children with juvenile myelomonocytic leukemia, the median time of survival after diagnosis ranges from less than one year to four years. Survival rates for those diagnosed with chronic myelomonocytic leukemia range from a month to 10 years. In most cases, treatment allows you to live for a longer time, with a better quality of life although you may not ever be rendered cancer free. Your doctor can help you to determine your treatment options and prognosis.

Continue Learning about Hematologic/Blood Cancers

As a Cancer Survivor, How Can I Deal with My Fear of a Recurrence?
If you're a cancer survivor, it's normal to worry about the disease coming back. In this video, palliative medicine specialist Dr. Stewart Fleishman d...
What You Need to Know About Multiple Myeloma
Multiple myeloma is cancer that affects the body's plasma cells, a type of white blood cell. Watch this video to learn the risks, symptoms and treatme...
Are hematologic cancers serious?
Hematologic cancers are very serious. They are malignant tumors that are potentially lethal without ...
What increases my risk for hematologic cancers?
Your risk of developing a hematologic cancer is increased if you have one or more of the risk factor...