What increases my risk for hematologic cancers?

Your risk of developing a hematologic cancer is increased if you have one or more of the risk factors identified for these disorders. The risk factors generally depend on the type of cancer, but being older is a factor that is common to almost all hematologic cancers. Having one or more relatives with the disease also increases the risk of developing most of the types of hematologic cancers.

Some of the more common risk factors for leukemia are prolonged exposure to benzene, exposure to excessive amounts of radiation, smoking, and being a Caucasian.

Risk factors for lymphoma include being male, being Caucasian, exposure to some pesticides, a diet rich in fats and meat, infection with the Epstein-Barr or human immunodeficiency (HIV) virus, and taking drugs that impair the immune system.

Risk factors for myeloma include being male, being African American, and exposure to excessive radiation.

Continue Learning about Hematologic/Blood Cancers

Staying Fit During Multiple Myeloma Remission
Exercise brings with it many benefits that are helpful for people with multiple myeloma or in remission. At the top of that list: Exercise's ability t...
How Can I Transition From Cancer Patient to Cancer Survivor?
The modern view of "survivorship" is that it begins at diagnosis. Focusing on ways to get better minimize the negative effects of treatment. Watch thi...
How do I manage my hematologic cancer on a daily basis?
How you manage your hematologic cancer on a daily basis depends to a large extent on the type of can...
What is the rate of incidence for hematologic cancers?
Hematologic cancers are currently responsible for approximately 9.5 percent of newly diagnosed cance...