How are myelodysplastic/myeloproliferative diseases staged?

Myelodysplastic/myeloproliferative diseases are generally not staged. Normally cancer stages are used to define the size of the primary tumor and the extent of spread to lymph nodes or other organs.  Myelodysplastic/meloproliferative diseases are not officially staged since this is a disease of the bone marrow. The doctor looks at other factors including the patient's blood count, appearance of the bone marrow, the patient's age, and certain chromosome changes.

Continue Learning about Hematologic/Blood Cancers

As a Cancer Survivor, How Can I Deal with My Fear of a Recurrence?
If you're a cancer survivor, it's normal to worry about the disease coming back. In this video, palliative medicine specialist Dr. Stewart Fleishman d...
Best Foods for Multiple Myeloma Treatment
Eating well is important when you’re being treated multiple myeloma. In this video, Darria Long Gillespie, the SVP of Clinical Strategy at Sharecare, ...
Is a remission the same as a cure for my hematologic cancer?
Monique Z. Sajjad, DOMonique Z. Sajjad, DO
Monique Sajjad, DO, a hematologist and oncologist from Northside Hospital, explains what the terms r...
What are the long-term effects of hematologic cancer treatment?
A hematologist and oncologist looks at the potential complications resulting from chemotherapy used ...