How do growth factors treat myelodysplastic/myeloproliferative diseases?

People with myelodysplastic/myeloproliferative diseases do not produce adequate blood cells. Growth factors such as erythropoietin, G-CSF, and oprelvekin may help your body to replenish depleted supplies. Erythropoietin stimulates red blood cell growth, G-CSF stimulates white cell growth, and oprelvekin stimulates the formation of platelets. These drugs are used in the treatment of chronic myelomonocytic leukemia.

Continue Learning about Hematologic/Blood Cancers

When Someone You Love Is Diagnosed With Multiple Myeloma
When your loved one is diagnosed with multiple myeloma, the focus of everyone—family, friends, doctors—is squarely on that new patient, just as it sho...
As a Cancer Survivor, How Can I Deal with My Fear of a Recurrence?
If you're a cancer survivor, it's normal to worry about the disease coming back. In this video, palliative medicine specialist Dr. Stewart Fleishman d...
Are there alternative therapies for hematologic cancers?
In addition to conventional therapy with chemotherapy, radiotherapy, stem cell transplant, and immun...
What increases my risk for hematologic cancers?
Your risk of developing a hematologic cancer is increased if you have one or more of the risk factor...