What do I need to know about caring for someone with hematologic cancer?

Caring for people with hematologic cancer involves helping them deal with the effects of the cancer or its therapy. The exact nature of care will depend on the type of cancer, how much the cancer has spread, and the therapy that the individual has received. However, the need for emotional and social support should be anticipated for most people with hematologic cancer. They may experience a number of problems that can affect their ability to function on a daily basis, including feelings of depression, lack of adequate transportation to medical appointments and other places, and lack of adequate knowledge about their cancer and its treatment. You should provide whatever support is necessary, and enlist others, such as family members, friends, and support groups to help as needed. You should also be aware of the possibility that the person may become weak or tired and bruise or bleed easily, so should encourage appropriate activities to conserve energy and avoid trauma. You should also help the individual with hematologic cancer avoid contact with people who have an infection and are potentially contagious.

Continue Learning about Hematologic/Blood Cancers

When Someone You Love Is Diagnosed With Multiple Myeloma
When your loved one is diagnosed with multiple myeloma, the focus of everyone—family, friends, doctors—is squarely on that new patient, just as it sho...
Best Foods for Multiple Myeloma Treatment
Eating well is important when you’re being treated multiple myeloma. In this video, Darria Long Gillespie, the SVP of Clinical Strategy at Sharecare, ...
Do hematologic cancers affect children differently than adults?
Hematologic cancers do affect children differently than adults. In general, they are less common in ...
How do I manage my hematologic cancer on a daily basis?
How you manage your hematologic cancer on a daily basis depends to a large extent on the type of can...