What are the symptoms of hematologic cancers?

Hematologic cancers may cause a number of symptoms. Several of the most common are weakness, fatigue, shortness of breath, easy bruising and bleeding, frequent infections, enlarged lymph nodes, distended or painful abdomen (due to enlarged abdominal organs), bone or joint pain, fractures, unplanned weight loss, poor appetite, night sweats, persistent mild fever, and decreased urination (due to impaired kidney function). Certain symptoms are more likely to occur with some cancers than others. For example, bone pain is more frequently found in myeloma, and enlarged lymph nodes are most common with lymphoma. The specific effects of the enlarged lymph nodes depend on the location and size of these nodes.

Continue Learning about Hematologic/Blood Cancers

As a Cancer Survivor, How Can I Deal with My Fear of a Recurrence?
If you're a cancer survivor, it's normal to worry about the disease coming back. In this video, palliative medicine specialist Dr. Stewart Fleishman d...
Must-Know Multiple Myeloma Facts
Must-Know Multiple Myeloma Facts
Just over 30,000 people will be diagnosed with multiple myeloma in the United States this year—despite being the second most common blood cancer, mult...
How are hematologic cancers diagnosed?
The diagnosis of hematologic cancer is often suspected by symptoms or findings on physical examinati...
What causes hematologic cancers?
Hematologic cancers, like all malignant disorders, are caused by the uncontrolled division of abnorm...