How can heartburn affect my voice?

Heartburn can affect your voice by exposing your vocal cords to stomach acid. When acid comes up the esophagus from the stomach, the acid can go from the upper esophagus to the upper trachea (windpipe) and by doing so may come into contact with the vocal cords. The vocal cords do not like stomach acid and this can make your voice hoarse.

Continue Learning about Heartburn

Acid Reflux Medication: How Much Is Too Much?
In the 1970’s TV sitcom Sanford and Son, whenever Fred Sanford (Redd Foxx) got disagreeable news—usually about a failed money-making scheme—he’d place...
How common is heartburn?
James Rosser, MDJames Rosser, MD
Heartburn is one of the most common medical conditions experienced by upwards of 40% of Americans on...
How does heartburn occur?
Heartburn occurs when the sphincter separating the esophagus from the stomach is weak. When this sph...
How can heartburn affect my health?
MountainView HospitalMountainView Hospital
Heartburn is the reflux of stomach acid in the esophagus, and can lead to a variety of dangerous med...