What medications will I need after my heart transplant?

You know that after your heart transplant, you will be taking many different medications, each prescribed to you for a specific therapeutic reason. They fall into four categories:
  • Immunosuppressants: Drugs and agents that shut down your body's natural immune responses that would damage your new heart.
  • Antibiotics, antivirals, and fungicides: Drugs that intercede to fend off infection because your natural immune responses are now disabled.
  • Vitamins, minerals, and nutritional supplements: Compounds to aid your body in its efforts to heal and maintain proper functioning.
  • Coronary-disease preventing and antihypertensive medications: Drugs to prevent coronary artery disease and regulate blood pressure.
You will be taking the highest amount of medications immediately following your operation. Over the first year, we will begin to lower some dosages and possibly discontinue certain medications.

Continue Learning about Heart Transplant

What can reduce the need for heart biopsies after heart transplant?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Mario C. Deng, M.D., the medical director of the Advanced Heart Failure, Mechanical Circulatory Supp...
What happens during a heart transplant?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
You will be laying on your back on the operating table; your arms will be placed at your sides, padd...
What Is the State of Heart Transplants?
What Is the State of Heart Transplants?
How Long Does It Take to Receive a Heart Transplant?