What do I do if I don't feel well after my heart transplant?

After transplantation, it is important to take care of yourself by eating right, exercising daily, taking your medications as prescribed and on time, taking care of your skin and dental hygiene, washing your hands frequently, and using the infection-avoidance precautions we teach. Report any changes or feelings of discomfort to your transplant doctor or transplant coordinator immediately. The timely diagnosis of infection or rejection is crucial to your life. Remember, call even if in doubt; it is better to be safe than sorry.

Continue Learning about Heart Transplant

Does a cardiac transplant affect children differently than adults?
Pediatric cardiac transplants are performed on about 400 children each year. The availability of don...
Do people with LVADs always go on to receive heart transplants?
Robert Mohapatra, MDRobert Mohapatra, MD
People with left ventricular assist devices (LVADs) do not always go on to receive heart transplants...
What Is the Availability of Donor Hearts for Heart Transplant?
What Is the State of Heart Transplants?
What Is the State of Heart Transplants?