Will bypass surgery cure my heart disease?

Although bypass surgery greatly improves the way most patients feel, it is not a cure for heart disease. Unless other preventive steps are taken, the processes that caused the artery disease will continue.
Judy Caplan
Coronary artery bypass surgery does not cure heart disease. The surgery is useful to reroute the blood flow to the diseased arteries and to restore the blood supply to the affected myocardium. The disease process, however, continues after surgery. Blockages can still develop in non-bypassed arteries or in the bypasses themselves. The best way to prevent, or slow down, the disease process is the same way as to prevent the disease in the first place: by careful and diligent attention to risk factor modification with diet, exercise, and medications.

Continue Learning about Heart Surgeries

Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm: What Are Your Treatment Options?
In the United States, upwards of 200,000 people are diagnosed annually with an abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA). This is an enlarged, weakened area in ...
What will happen on the day of my heart surgery?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
On the day of your surgery and in preparation for entering the operating room, you will give you...
What is valvuloplasty?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Valvuloplasty is performed, in certain circumstances, to open a stenotic (stiff) heart valve. In...
Dr. Craig Smith - What Is a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD)?