When can I go back to work after aortic surgery?

Going back to work after aortic surgery is an individual decision. The stress of surgery, the medications given and the interruption of normal sleep patterns all require a bit of time to resolve. If your occupation requires important decision-making but not physical labor, three weeks off is usually enough. For those of you who need to do physical labor, six weeks off is necessary. If you are entitled to medical leave, it is generally advisable to take one month off from work.

Continue Learning about Heart Surgeries

What happens during minimally invasive coronary artery bypass surgery?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
During a minimally invasive coronary artery bypass surgery, the surgeon makes an incision 2.5 to...
What is minimally invasive heart surgery?
Ellen CharnleyEllen Charnley
Minimally invasive heart surgery is surgery that doesn’t include cutting through the sternum (br...
Dr. Craig Smith - What Is a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD)?
What Diet and Lifestyle Changes Do I Need to Make after Heart Surgery?