What will happen on the day of my heart surgery?

On the day of your surgery and in preparation for entering the operating room, you will give your glasses, dentures, watch, jewelry, contact lenses, and any other personal items to your loved ones. You should trim or shave your facial hair, and a member of your care team will shave any hair you may have where the operation will take place. Your skin will then be washed with antiseptic soap. Shaving makes it easier to clean the skin, reduces the risk of infection, decreases pain when adhesive bandages are removed, and ensures that your breathing tube will easily stay in place after surgery. You will be given a gown to wear to the operating room; you may notice that the operating room is kept cool.

Continue Learning about Heart Surgeries

Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm: What Are Your Treatment Options?
In the United States, upwards of 200,000 people are diagnosed annually with an abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA). This is an enlarged, weakened area in ...
Does heart surgery lead to serious cognitive decline?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
There are many anecdotes about serious cognitive decline after heart surgery. However, two methods o...
When should I call my doctor after heart valve replacement surgery?
Timothy R. Malinowski, MDTimothy R. Malinowski, MD
Cardiac surgeons and cardiologists want to know if their patients are not recovering well after surg...
What Happens During Cardiac Bypass Surgery?