What should I keep in mind when exercising after heart surgery?

Ellen Charnley
Health Education
When exercising after heart surgery, you need to be mindful of some conditions:
  • Your training and racing heart rate should, on average, stay beneath the beats per minutes (bpm) that your surgeon recommends for you.
  • If you have chest pain that persists, it might be related to pericarditus and you should discuss this with your surgeon.
  • If you experience any abnormal heart rhythms when training - either accelerated or skipped beats - your surgeon might order a monitor for you to wear and evaluate whether this is anything significant, perhaps an arrhythmia, in which case, no training.
Living Life to the Full: My Ironman Journey from open-heart surgery to an Ironman triathlon in just eight months

Ellen Charnley is a Chartered Accountant and avid Triathlete. Ellen has completed many triathlons both locally and internationally. Born in England, she and her husband, Don, have lived in London,...

Continue Learning about Heart Surgeries

Does heart surgery lead to serious cognitive decline?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
There are many anecdotes about serious cognitive decline after heart surgery. However, two methods o...
How should I prepare for my heart surgery?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
Before your surgical procedure, you will receive a prescription for an antibiotic ointment that shou...
What Treatments Are Used for a Damaged Aortic Valve?
What Diet and Lifestyle Changes Do I Need to Make after Heart Surgery?