What should I keep in mind when exercising after heart surgery?

Ellen Charnley
Health Education
When exercising after heart surgery, you need to be mindful of some conditions:
  • Your training and racing heart rate should, on average, stay beneath the beats per minutes (bpm) that your surgeon recommends for you.
  • If you have chest pain that persists, it might be related to pericarditus and you should discuss this with your surgeon.
  • If you experience any abnormal heart rhythms when training - either accelerated or skipped beats - your surgeon might order a monitor for you to wear and evaluate whether this is anything significant, perhaps an arrhythmia, in which case, no training.
Living Life to the Full: My Ironman Journey from open-heart surgery to an Ironman triathlon in just eight months

Ellen Charnley is a Chartered Accountant and avid Triathlete. Ellen has completed many triathlons both locally and internationally. Born in England, she and her husband, Don, have lived in London,...

Continue Learning about Heart Surgeries

Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm: What Are Your Treatment Options?
In the United States, upwards of 200,000 people are diagnosed annually with an abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA). This is an enlarged, weakened area in ...
How common is an abnormal heartbeat following heart surgery?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
New-onset postoperative atrial fibrillation (AFib, or abnormal heartbeat) occurs in one out of five ...
What determines if someone needs surgical valve replacement or repair?
If a person's heart valves become too narrow, they may need valve replacement or repair. Learn more ...
What Happens During Cardiac Bypass Surgery?