What is transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR)?

Transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) is a form of minimally invasive surgery that does not require opening of the breastbone. It is used to treat aortic stenosis, and is also referred to as transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI).

Surgeons use TAVR when traditional surgery presents too many risks. For example, a surgeon may consider TAVR if the person has ever been diagnosed with advanced heart, lung, liver or kidney disease. It is important to know that not everyone is a candidate for this procedure.

During TAVR, the surgeon usually will access the diseased valve through a blood vessel in the leg (transfemoral) or a small incision in the chest, along the ribcage (transapical). A hollow tube (catheter) is inserted into the artery through the access point, and the surgeon will use a special kind of x-ray (fluoroscopy) to guide the catheter through the blood vessels to the heart.

Once the catheter reaches the diseased aortic valve, the replacement valve is then passed through the catheter. A balloon is expanded to press the replacement valve into place. When the surgeon is certain the new valve is securely in place, the catheter will be withdrawn from the body through the original access point.

This content originally appeared online in "The Patient Guide to Heart, Lung, and Esophageal Surgery" from the Society of Thoracic Surgery.

Continue Learning about Heart Surgeries

What can I expect when I enter the operating room for cardiac surgery?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Here are some general things to expect once you enter the operating room for cardiac surgery: Th...
What happens during an aortic valve replacement surgery?
Craig R. Smith, MDCraig R. Smith, MD
The notion of having your chest opened and your heart exposed is enought to give you pause, even...
How can I reduce my risk of cognitive problems after bypass surgery?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
According to a study published in The Annals of Thoracic Surgery, the strongest predictor of worse c...
How does bypass surgery bypass the blockages in my arteries?
The purpose of coronary bypass surgery is to circumvent the blockages in your coronary arteries. Sur...