What should I ask my doctor if I'm considering transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR)?

Dr. William M. Suh, MD
Internist

If you are considering transcatheter valve replacement (TAVR), you need to make sure that you’re an appropriate candidate for TAVR. Currently, this procedure is intended for people who are either inoperable or at high risk. For those people who aren’t in those two groups, surgery is still the gold standard for treatment. Therefore, you need to ask your doctor whether or not an open aortic valve replacement is the best option for you.

Continue Learning about Heart Surgeries

What happens during cardiac bypass surgery?
In cardiac bypass surgery, a doctor stops the patient's heart—causing the clinical definition of dea...
What is bypass surgery?
SCAISCAI
While every type of surgery carries some risks, it is important to note cardiac bypass surgery has b...
How Is Aortic Dissection Treated?
How Is Aortic Dissection Treated?
What Treatments Are Used for a Damaged Aortic Valve?