What should I do if I feel angry or depressed after heart surgery?

Recognize that you may feel angry or depressed. Try to talk openly about your feelings with your loved ones. It will also help to identify and stick to a regular daily routine. This will help you build your strength and help you recover faster. For example:
  • Try to get six to eight hours of sleep a night. Go to bed at the same time each night.
  • Wake up and shower each morning at approximately the same time.
  • Weigh yourself daily.
  • Take your temperature if you feel hot or have the chills.
  • Get dressed in regular daytime clothes. This will make you feel more like being active.
  • Eat breakfast.
  • Take your medication.
  • Plan your day to help you from getting too tired.
  • Follow the walking plan provided by your physical therapist.

Continue Learning about Heart Surgeries

Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm: What Are Your Treatment Options?
In the United States, upwards of 200,000 people are diagnosed annually with an abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA). This is an enlarged, weakened area in ...
What happens during on-pump coronary artery bypass graft surgery (CABG)?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Your heart contains coronary arteries that can become diseased when cholesterol builds up to for...
What activities can I do after heart surgery?
Daniel P. O'Hair, MDDaniel P. O'Hair, MD
Light to moderate activities allowed after discharge from heart surgery include: 1. Personal care...
How Is Aortic Dissection Treated?
How Is Aortic Dissection Treated?