Can open heart surgery cause acute kidney injury (AKI)?

Acute kidney injury (AKI) is considered a common complication from open heart surgery. AKI is the sudden loss of kidney function that happens over hours or days. This damage causes a build-up of waste in the blood and makes it difficult for the kidneys to correctly balance fluid in the body. AKI is most likely to occur during open heart surgery and in the early hours following the operation. AKI may increase in-hospital mortality and adversely affect a person's survival, so it’s especially important to identify people at risk during the immediate postoperative period. 

Continue Learning about Heart Surgeries

Dr. Craig Smith - What Is a Left Ventricular Assist Device (LVAD)?
Dr. Emile Bacha - Do I Need a Special Diet After Heart Surgery?
How Is Aortic Dissection Treated?
How Is Aortic Dissection Treated?
What Treatments Are Used for a Damaged Aortic Valve?