Is the heart stopped during heart valve replacement?

Yes; the valves of the heart open and close with each heartbeat, so the heart is stopped and a heart-lung or bypass machine is used during the surgical procedure to replace a faulty heart valve. The heart is restarted after the faulty valve is replaced. Watch this animation to learn more about how this procedure is performed.

Continue Learning about Heart Surgeries

Can open heart surgery cause acute kidney injury (AKI)?
The Society of Thoracic SurgeonsThe Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Acute kidney injury (AKI) is considered a common complication from open heart surgery. AKI is the su...
What type of heart valve is better for middle-age people having AVR?
Middle-age people (aged 40 to 70 years) undergoing aortic valve replacement (AVR) should strongly co...
Why are researchers studying the discharge process after cardiac surgery?
Researchers are studying the discharge process after cardiac surgery because the rate of rehospitali...
Should I use a nutritional supplement after my heart surgery?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
Many people experience decreased appetite for a few days after surgery. Although you may not feel ...