How can I reduce my risk of cognitive problems after bypass surgery?

According to a study published in The Annals of Thoracic Surgery, the strongest predictor of worse cognitive performance after coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG) surgery was the emotional state of the patient, and patients who were anxious or stressed prior to undergoing surgery generally performed worse afterward.

Patients who are worried about adverse neurological outcomes, such as cognitive decline, can be reassured that post-operative cognitive decline is significantly less common than was reported in the past. This study suggests that identifying and treating pre-operative depression may be one approach to minimizing the risk of post-operative cognitive decline.

Continue Learning about Heart Surgeries

What should I expect after coronary angioplasty?
Piedmont Heart InstitutePiedmont Heart Institute
After coronary angioplasty, you will be moved to a special care unit, where you will stay for a few ...
What are the risks of removing a cardiac device?
Presbyterian/St. Luke's Medical CenterPresbyterian/St. Luke's Medical Center
Damage to major blood vessels is among the risks of removing a pacemaker or other cardiac device.
What Treatments Are Used for a Damaged Aortic Valve?
What Happens During Cardiac Bypass Surgery?