How should I prepare for my heart surgery?

Before your surgical procedure, you will receive a prescription for an antibiotic ointment that should be started five days prior to surgery. This ointment is a safety measure to help prevent infection. Make sure that you follow the instructions that come with the prescription.

You are required to shower or take a bath on the day prior to surgery both in the morning and at night and again the morning of your surgery, before coming to the hospital. Specialized bathing should be performed a total of three times, following these instructions:

A special antibacterial liquid soap should be applied with a clean washcloth and lathered over the entire body, with an emphasis on the operative sites (chest wall in the front and legs) as well as your scalp, around the nose, armpits, navel and genital areas. After washing, rinse thoroughly. Repeat the process three times at each bathing. Dry with a clean bath towel.

When preparing for heart surgery, meet with the physician to ensure you're in the proper state of health. It's also important to maintain proper hygiene before heart surgery.

Continue Learning about Heart Surgeries

What is op-CAB?
Columbia University Department of SurgeryColumbia University Department of Surgery
Op-CAB refers to off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting. Ordinarily when performing a coronary art...
Why should I join a rehabilitation program after coronary bypass surgery?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
By joining a cardiac rehabilitation program, you can improve your chances of resuming a healthy,...
What Happens During Cardiac Bypass Surgery?
What Diet and Lifestyle Changes Do I Need to Make after Heart Surgery?