Most patients will remain in the hospital for five to seven days. You will then go home and feel tired for a week or two. Afterwards you will feel relatively normal. It takes six weeks before the sternum is completely healed, so heavy lifting during that time is not permitted. During the recovery time, it is quite normal to be aware of your heartbeat. Your heart becomes temporarily attached to your breastbone, which then transmits sound through the bones of your ear. It is normal and can be alleviated by purchasing a sound diffuser.
- Q Who should have minimally invasive bypass surgery?
- Q What vital signs are checked after heart surgery?
- Q What should I ask my doctor if I am considering TAVR?
- Q During heart surgery, what happens in the operation room?
- Q What do I need to expect after a heart surgery?
- Q As a woman, should I have any special concerns after heart surgery?