How can I help facilitate my own recovery after aortic surgery?

There are methods to facilitate recovery. Perhaps the most important influence is a positive mental attitude. Patients who believe they will have a procedure and then will live an abundant, healthy life will generally have a rapid recovery. The second method, if you are a smoker, is to reduce your number of cigarettes to under five per day. Obviously the time before heart surgery is stressful. It is too optimistic to anticipate that you will quit prior to the operation. In truth, it is probably not a great decision to quit within two weeks of an operation as quitting leads to a temporary increase in mucous production, which increases the need to cough.

Continue Learning about Heart Surgeries

Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm: What Are Your Treatment Options?
In the United States, upwards of 200,000 people are diagnosed annually with an abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA). This is an enlarged, weakened area in ...
What is the Ross procedure for heart valve replacement?
Linda MartinezLinda Martinez
A Ross procedure is done by taking an individual’s own pulmonic valve and replacing the diseased aor...
What determines if someone needs surgical valve replacement or repair?
If a person's heart valves become too narrow, they may need valve replacement or repair. Learn more ...
What Treatments Are Used for a Damaged Aortic Valve?