How do I take care of the insertion site after a PTCA procedure?

Once at home after your percutaneous transluminal coronary angioplasty (PTCA) procedure, you should monitor the insertion site for bleeding, unusual pain, swelling, and abnormal discoloration or temperature change at or near the insertion site. A small bruise is normal. If you notice a constant or large amount of blood at the site that cannot be contained with a small dressing, notify your physician.

If your physician used a closure device for your insertion site, you will be given specific information regarding the type of closure device that was used and how to take care of the insertion site. There will be a small knot, or lump, under the skin, where the insertion site was. This is normal. The knot should gradually disappear over a few weeks.

It will be important to keep the insertion site clean and dry. Your physician will give you specific bathing instructions.

You may be advised not to participate in any strenuous activities. Your physician will instruct you about when you can return to work and resume normal activities.

Your physician may give you additional or alternate instructions after the procedure, depending on your particular situation.

Continue Learning about Heart Surgeries

Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm: What Are Your Treatment Options?
In the United States, upwards of 200,000 people are diagnosed annually with an abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA). This is an enlarged, weakened area in ...
What should I expect before open heart surgery?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
If you need to have open heart surgery, here's what you can expect before your surgery. Although dif...
When will I leave the hospital after an angioplasty and stenting?
SCAISCAI
How long you will remain in the hospital after angioplasty and stenting depends on your medical situ...
How Is Aortic Dissection Treated?
How Is Aortic Dissection Treated?