How can shoveling snow affect my heart?

Thomas Plut, DO
Sports Medicine
Snow shoveling is a known trigger for heart attacks. It can raise your heart rate and blood pressure dramatically. And if you aren't particularly active and then pick up a shovel and move hundreds of pounds of snow, the activity can put a big strain on your heart. A 2011 study conducted over two winters found that of 500 people who visited a hospital emergency room with heart problems, 7% began to experience symptoms while shoveling snow.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.
Recent data show that the classic "snow shoveler's heart attack" is all too real. In winter, the risk of stroke and heart attack climbs by as much as 12%, in part because blood pressure sneaks up when the thermometer plummets. Aggravate that by going from lazing by the fire to trying to clear the driveway faster than your neighbor's snowblower and it's easy to put your ticker on overload.

Ease into heavy-duty outdoor work. Take plenty of breaks. Scoop up smaller, lighter loads with your shovel, and keep up your 30-minute walks so you're no stranger to activity (do 'em indoors if you have to).

Continue Learning about Heart Health

Mash This Kind of Potato to Baby Your Heart
Potatoes sometimes get a bad health rap. But new research shows that certain varieties may help quiet inflammatory processes that set the stage for di...
How can noise affect my heart?
New research has found that regular exposure to sound above 65 decibels (that's merely a loud conver...
8 Best Yoga Poses for Heart Health
8 Best Yoga Poses for Heart Health8 Best Yoga Poses for Heart Health8 Best Yoga Poses for Heart Health8 Best Yoga Poses for Heart Health
Find out which yoga asanas help relieve stress, reduce hypertension and improve cholesterol for better cardiovascular health.
What Can I Eat When I'm on a Detox Diet?